Sunday, September 9, 2012

I do!


"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it." Philippians 3:14-16 The Message

Marriage is a legal declaration of commitment, “I____, take you ______, to be my wedded ____. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part. And here to I pledge you my faithfulness.”  These vows are binding promises made by each partner to each other. A few weeks ago, I was having a discussion about societies' view on the union of marriage ’is society making a mockery of the wedding vow?’  Divorce is all the rage........ it’s the'in' thing. The point was made that a  wedding does not insure marital bliss ‘no one is willing to put in the work to make the marriage work; as soon as problem comes along they are ready to jump ship.’ Sad though it is to say, every time I turn my television there is a next celebrity getting divorce, society is making divorce glamorious.  Society plays a very Cogent role in our attitudes and actions regarding marriage. As followers of Christ we can't be shaped by the views of society, but by the cross of Christ and the divine Words of God. For a marriage to work each partner must put in the work.  

Many enter into marriage with the “fairy tale, happily ever after” mentality.  ‘I do’ take thee, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for richer, in health, to love and to cherish. What will happen when the worse, poorer and sickness come along? Are we having the same “fairy tale, happily ever after” mentality in our walk with God? As soon as suffering, sadness, and heartache comes along, do we start filing divorce paper? Are we saying ‘God we can’t take this anymore, we want out’?  If you expect nothing but happiness and bliss from marriage, it’s likely you expect the same from your relationship with God. When adversity comes along, is normally when we strike out, but Commitment accepts the circumstances and tries to work through it.
Why not make a vow to God today……I do take you God , from this day onward in trial and temptation, in financial crisis and sickness, I will love you  Lord  with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my mind.

‘I'm single-minded in pursuit of you; don't let me miss the road signs you've posted. I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart so I won't sin myself bankrupt. Be blessed, God; train me in your ways of wise living. I'll transfer to my lips all the counsel that comes from your mouth; I delight far more in what you tell me about living than in gathering a pile of riches. I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you, I attentively watch how you've done it. I relish everything you've told me of life, I won't forget a word of it.’ Psalm 119:9-16 The Message

 Your reward is sure, happiness, riches and health will be bestowed upon you. Are you ready to my a commitment?

KemJ

1 comment: