Thursday, September 13, 2012

More than a Name

 "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
-John 13:35

Yesterday, I was waiting for the bus as I was heading to church when I saw something interesting. It was a red light at the intersection and beggar began to walk in between the cars on the road, hoping that someone would drop some money into his Tim Horton's cup. As I watched the man walk, my eyes turned to the various drivers who simply looked away or stared straight ahead. Undeterred, the beggar kept walking down the row of cars. As he kept walking, one driver stopped to put some money into his cup. Afterwards, I watched the driver put his seatbelt back on because he had unclipped it in order to get his wallet. My heart was touched by his kindness. While everyone else couldn't be bothered to help the man, he took the time. My mind began to ask millions of questions. Who was this driver? What is his story? Is he generally a kind person? Where does he work? Does he always give to the needy? Before I could even imagine answers to those questions, I happened to glance at his license plate...it said "GOLDNRULE". All questions were answered. 

Seeing that scene impacted me for the rest of the evening. It was so refreshing that this man didn't just have the golden rule as his license plate because of it's virtue in itself. He  didn't have that license plate there simply because he wanted other drivers to know that he was a great guy, but he actually lived up to it. What about us? If we are Christians, that is our label, it is our license plate. Do we live up to our name or is it just a pretense? The verse above clearly pinpoints the fact that our actions will show others who we are. Moreover, if we are Christ's followers, we will demonstrate that love for others. 

Ask God today to help you live the Christian life rather than have a garb of Christianity. 

-Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment