Monday, March 11, 2013

Blaming Others


For the last little while, I have found myself reading Psychology Today fairly frequently.&nbsfp;
This morning, I read a very interesting article about offenders who killed children in school shootings. 

Although I definitely think that the author's claim that
"Blame, frustration, depression, and anger at others, coupled with the means to definitively punish, is a volatile combination.is a huge stretch. (Frankly, I think it takes much more than that to become a serial killer.)

However, what got me is blame. It's pretty much the root of psychotherapy...blame my mother, my father, society etc. for the way they raised me, for the conditions I was brought up in. The sense of responsibility is gone. 

While there is no doubt that our environment and our parents have a strong impact on us, there comes a time where we must take responsibility for our own actions. I know too many people who are complaining about the woes in their life and linking it to their parents. Their inability to control their credit card is because "my mom never taught me how to manage money" or "she was such a bad steward of her finances". Of course, that is not an ideal situation, but the only way we are going to shed our baggage is if we honestly re-evaluate who is to blame. 

The Bible says: 
"But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For each one shall bear his own load."
-Galatians 6:4-5
Why is this so important? God can't help us with our weaknesses if we are forever blaming others. If we don't acknowledge that the problem is with us, we won't see the need for Him to change us. I want to leave on a message of hope!

The good news is this (one of my favourite verses in the Bible):

"And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
-2 Corinthians 12:9

Happy Monday and Happy Week! No matter what our past has been, we can have perfect peace in knowing that God can use our worst weaknesses and make them strengths. Just give it up to Him!

-Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment